Thursday, May 22, 2008

McCain Unleashes Bunker-Buster-Bomb on Obama

In a battle, it's considered 'fair game' to throw a rock back when a rock has been thrown at you. Or to return gunfire on an opponent who directs gunfire at you. But to reciprocate with a nuclear bomb when the battle only calls for a small arms gun, is way over the top. Such is the case of presumptive Republican Presidential nominee, John McCain.

This latest round started when Senator Barack Obama called McCain out on the floor of the U.S. Senate for his opposition to Virginia Senator Webb's 21st century GI Bill.

Obama said, "I respect Sen. John McCain's service to our country. He is one of those heroes of which I speak. But I can't understand why he would line up behind the president in opposition to this GI Bill. I can't believe why he believes it is too generous to our veterans. I could not disagree with him and the president more on this issue. There are many issues that lend themselves to partisan posturing, but giving our veterans the chance to go to college should not be one of them."

That statement would be equal to rock throwing or BB gun shooting in my neighborhood. Heck, it's not like Obama talked about McCain's mama or something. But the Illinois Senator obviously hit a raw nerve, as McCain skipped past the verbal shotgun or hand grenade in his oratorical arsenal... and instead whipped out a 'suitcase nuke' in an effort to over-kill Obama.

It wasn't just me... but those in the political world took a big gasp of breath at McCain's immediate response to Obama's rub: “I will not accept from Senator Obama, who did not feel it was his responsibility to serve our country in uniform, any lectures on my regard for those who did,” he said.

Now, that statement–– lethal as it was, should have been enough to emphasize his point to Obama that he wasn't going to take 'no stuff off of him". But, McCain took it even further. He took it to the bunker-buster-bomb level––here in round one–– delivering a chilling, mortal blow to Obama with this stinging follow up:

“I admire and respect Sen. Obama. For a young man with very little experience, he’s done very well. I appreciate his very great lack of experience and knowledge of the issues. He’s been very successful. ...Don’t get me wrong, I admire and respect Sen. Obama. But he does not have the knowledge, background or judgment to lead this nation in these difficult and challenging times. And I do. And I will keep this nation prosperous and secure.”

Wow! Now watch what he said... he 'admired and respected' Obama in one breath, yet turned around and blew him to 'smithereens' in the next. If this is what McCain calls "admiring and respecting" an individual... I would hate to see how he dresses-down those who "dislikes and has disdain" for.

No, I'm afraid McCain went a bit too far in this gunfight. But moreover, I'm afraid to even wonder what statements would have come out of his mouth had he begun the rebuke of Obama with his well-known acidic term, "My Friend". Time will tell!

No comments: